Purpose of NatureScouter

This blog will address mainly two issues - Nature and Scouting.

The purpose of Nature blogs is to educate and promote the awareness of Singapore’s and global environmental and conservation issues to the public and the Scouting community. The Scouting-related blogs serve the similar purpose by promoting the World’s largest youth movement and its activities to the public.

This blog was created thanks to the persistent demands of all my dear friends to blog, and on my 25th birthday, this blog was born.

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Semakau - Coral Workshop Field Trip (25 Dec 07)

We all gathered at Marina South Pier, can't wait to get started for another intertidal walk. Unlike normal walk, hard corals are the focus of this trip. But before Luan Keng arrived, speculations of our destination started... Initially it was said to be Kusu, but somehow, someone got the news that it was Semakau... Eventually, Luan Keng arrived and delivered the news - Semakau is the final destination. Many of us were fooled, and ended up not prepare (in nice little shorts and berms instead of the usual longs for Semakau... remember the mosquito infested forest?). Thanks Luan Keng...

P1050096
No complains and we journeyed on - boat and mini-bus and soon we met our enemy... the 'forest'.

P1050099
Pass the forest, we came to our second obstacle - the seagrass lagoon.

P1050098
Only then we reach the flats. And all the way we went to the edge of it where the coral reefs were.

Mentioning that this was a hard coral ID field trip, we spotted plenty of many other critters, up to a point that I decided the critters and corals should each deserve a post of their own. So here goes the critter list!

P1050112
Swimming crab

P1050231
Spoon-tip crab. Instead of the usual sharp tip, as its name says, it has a spoon tip which is used to scrap food substrate off rocks. I was lucky to witness the interesting foraging method.

P1050239
Spider conch

Now one of my favourite critter - NUDIBRANCHS! I always try to find at least one on every trip. I got more than I asked for this time. Although I like them but never knew what the hell are their genus or species cause I'm no expert. I just like them cause they are so cute and laid-back. Correct me if I'm wrong with their names.
P1050156
Phyllidiella sp.
P1050261
Jorunna funebris feeding on its favourite food - blue sponge! Who like blue sponge cakes?
P1050223
Looks like another Phyllidiella sp.
P1050242
Egg mass of nudis
P1050246
Another different egg mass
P1050269
Discodoris boholiensis

And here are some flatworms, which I also don't know their names... Anyone??
P1050257
P1050215
P1050180

Along the way, I just happen to be thinking, "Will I spot a blue-spotted fantail ray?".
P1050254
Waa Laa!

P1050267
Synaptic sea cucumber and...

P1050270
P1050228
More sea cucumbers that I cannot ID..

P1050175
Squid

P1050253
Octopus and including...

P1050264
A mating pair. If I'm not wrong, males have a modified tentacle that is the 'you know what'. Notice one of the tentacles stretching over to the female - procreation in the process.

P1050268
As corrected by Ria (Thanks!), this is actually a peacock anemone. I've seen many but a first for a translucent one. Also my lack of observation skills, hence my mistaken identity as a fanworm. Quoted from Ria, "You should see one outer ring of very long tentacles, and one inner ring of very short tentacles (about 1cm long). This animal is very shy and will retract immediately when flashed. It is usually only seen after dark. I have seen this on many of our coral rubble areas in both the northern and southern shores."

P1050266
Last but not the least - The magnificent sea anemone Heteractis magnifica.

By the time we ended the trip, it was pitch dark and torches were all on. We crept slowly in the dark, pass the seagrass lagoon and mosquito infested forest, on the mini-bus and boat and eventually back on mainland. Hungry as hell, off we went to Lau Pa Sat to fill our empty stomachs before heading home for a good rest.

4 comments:

juanicths said...

where are the corals? hee~

SJ said...

Coral edition coming up soon in another post. Hehe... Trying to make sure I'm correct. Also making it into a mini guide for sharing purpose, so will take a while. =D

Jeffrey said...

Sure got corals, one ... just need to go nearer the reef crest (far far out from the beach) :)

SJ said...

Yea, of course we went there. Otherwise it will not be called a coral field trip. Hehe.